I picked strawberries and sugar snap peas at the CSA today.
Last year they built a beautiful barn. You should see it. It is crafted so well. It looks wood and good and smells wood and good.
Inside the barn was Evangeline (look how she lights up the sky... I sang it in my head) and her husband Paul. They own the barn and the house and the fields and they run the CSA. They were working for this afternoon's produce pick-up. Moving pallets, crates, bins, baskets, cutting stems, roots, blossoms, rinsing, scrubbing, tumbling, stacking, unstacking. They were working with their hands and working hard. And they were doing it together. It was evident that they'd been working all morning long and were expecting to work well into the afternoon. Sometimes they were laughing and their 6-year-old girl was running in and out of the barn, barefoot. They had friends helping and people coming in and out to get this or that or say, "hi" or "bye" on their way to pick in the fields.
I was... a little bit envious. I'm sure there are trials that come with farming. I'm sure there are very difficult worries and stresses. But Evangeline and Paul love what they do, they work hard, and they work together. I could go for something like that with you.
And that's what I thought about at the CSA today. That and........ it is so beautiful here. I thought that while I stood in the middle of a green field ripe with food. I thought it on my bike ride out there (Gerret fell asleep, Nolan rode in the car with my mom... so I was free to soak in the scene). There is beauty anywhere you go, but I think there could possibly be a little more here than many places. I like it. A lot.
Mostly, I like you. A lot.
-Lady