I agree that you should be passionate about what you do, but I'm not sure that your career necessarily has to be the "what you do". It could just be the means to another end. It could be a small part of what you do. Thankfully, we believe that this life is just a blip in forever, so in the long run it doesn't entirely matter what you do. Not that I want to confuse you more, but I think your assessment that you should just pick something and go with it was probably closer to the truth. Should you enjoy what you do? I think so. Is it bad to be passionate about your career? No way. But I don't think that's a requirement for leading a fulfilling life. To feel fulfilled, you need passionate about something(s) and probably find balance in your endeavors.
I also think we need to get out of here, as in New York, but maybe that's just the experience of the past 3 years speaking. Maybe I'm worn down and willing to do anything differently. More immediately, I think we need to get out of here, as in my parents house. I have a feeling we'll be able to have clearer thoughts when we're in our own home. Or just be passionate about something.
This is what I was trying to say earlier (my thoughts kept being interrupted, so I don't know if what came out sound the way it did in my head)- The way to be great in the world is first just to be great. I think the natural consequence of being great is that you will be great to more than just yourself and your family. A great person seeks to improve themselves for the benefit of others (or the world). I think Joseph Smith said that a lot more eloquently than I just did.
I think we're great people, the two of us. We work on becoming greater and that's mostly what makes us great. We have placed ourselves in a situation where our choices are limited. They have been for a while now. It's hard to be patient, but we have to be as we slowly untangle ourselves from this awful web. We have to be patient with ourselves. I'm sure that the most difficult person to be patient with and the easiest person to tear down is myself. And that's not an act of humility. I'm sure that our Heavenly Father expects us to treat all of His children kindly, to withhold judgement and to forgive. Even ourselves.
I love you. I trust you. I find every happiness in you.
Lady