Monday, March 28, 2016

Dear Lady,

As I'm typing this I'm looking at my thumbs and I sustained cuts on each in the course of the past few days. On my left thumb I cut it open with a knife while cutting cheese last week. It was stupid. I should have seen the injury coming; I am an Eagle Scout after all. My right hand is even worse and an even dumber cut. It was a sausage injury. The last two sausages in the package were frozen together and in attempting to get them apart my fingers slipped and I dug a deep cut across the back of my thumb.
So there you are, two things you probably didn't know about me (other than you knew I had worn a couple bandages).
I had a beautiful time hiking with you and the kids yesterday. That's a rather lovely little place isn't it? I'm always amazed that it's vacant pretty much every time we've ever been there. It's unbelievable that if you make a location just a little difficult to get you it weeds out visitors almost entirely. I mean, it's a good thing for us, but a sad commentary on humanity in general.
Anyway, that was a tangent. I just wanted to say thank you for going out there with me. I had a really good time. It was nice to be in the woods and just relax and be inspired. I'm always trying to "be" some kind of person that I am idealizing at the moment. Whether an explorer, a filmmaker, a farmer, etc. Yesterday I enjoyed an entire day where I, miraculously, wasn't fettered by any of that. I just woke up to it. It was so nice. I just woke up and felt like I was in love with the day. I went on that hike and was simply in love with the woods, and my kids, and my beautiful wife.
I love you so much.
Here's a haiku I wrote while we were down at the bottom of the ravine:

A rippling bubbling
tumbling sound down the canyon
waterfall to the ground

Actually I'm just now realizing that the last line has too many syllables. I'm going to get in the shower and try and fix it and then when I get out I'll try and correct it and finish off this letter to you . . .

. . .



A rippling bubbling
tumbling sound laughing giggling
and splashing around.


.boy