Friday, April 1, 2016

Dear Lady,

The thrill of meeting and dating and falling in love is amazing. I have such very energetic memories of that time in our lives— a whirlwind few months in the spring and summer of 2004.
But you know what struck me yesterday? As we were getting ready for bed last night?

I was finishing up downstairs, brushing teeth, etc. and I noticed those dangerously loose sweatpants on the floor. I picked them up to bring upstairs and noticed that red shirt of mine—the one you'd worn the previous night for a pajama—so I picked that up too, and I thought, "I'd better take this up to Lindsay in case she wants to sleep in it again. She does seem to prefer something about my shirts over her own."
No sooner had I finished this thought then another, happier thought occurred to me, and I thought, "I love the little quirks and traits that I know about you. I love those things that only I know. I loved the passion of meeting and falling in love, but I love this even more. I love that I know you like to sleep in my shirts. I love that I know you occasionally talk in your sleep—just like your daughter. I love knowing that driving to Ithaca makes you recklessly tired sometimes. I love knowing that you hate washing silverware but not pots and pans while I hate them oppositely. I love knowing that more often than not if you're on your phone you're on Facebook or Instagram."
Do you know what I mean? I love all of these little things that have become mine alone to know. These little elements of you that are unknown to the rest of the world. This is the beauty of love and relationship.
Thank you for stumbling this road with me.
I love you.

.Patrick