Monday, October 18, 2010

Dear Boy,

Maybe we should struggle our whole lives to know surely that we are doing all the Lord expects of us.  Perhaps that is the best way to stay humble and introspective.  If you feel like you aren't doing everything He expects, then maybe you really aren't.  Maybe it is a simple change like increasing in love, changing an attitude, casting out something that doesn't belong.  Or maybe it is more complicated (in my opinion) like using your talents to do something more, becoming involved in an organization for the benefit of God's children, or even organizing something from scratch.  Whatever it is, I think we do have a responsibility to figure it out.  If you feel agitated about your prayer's answer, maybe you really should feel agitated.  If you were humble enough to receive that answer, continue on in the same spirit of humility until you know what you should do.  I found this speech from Elder Groberg given at BYU in 1979.  It's long and old, but I think still applicable.  Here's a quote from it:


What does the Lord mean when he tells us that we cannot be saved in ignorance and that we must gain knowledge in order to be saved? Knowledge of what? (You are here to study something, I hope.) Knowledge of the gospel? Of course, but even more than that, I think. I believe that the knowledge he is talking about--the knowledge that saves and that he requests us to seek--is the knowledge or assurance that we are fulfilling our mission, that we are doing his will, and that he is pleased with our efforts.  (John H. Groberg)


I love you and admire the service you render in the Lord's name.  You give me an example to follow in so many ways.  I cannot help feeling that I married above myself.  Sometimes I can't keep from feeling a little sorry for you.  I think it should be that way though.  I know my own weaknesses so intimately and simultaneously notice innumerable strengths and admirable qualities in you.  Thank you for sticking with me.  Thank you for treating me so kindly.  Thank you for being patient.  I love you.   


-Your Lady Forever