Thursday, July 12, 2018

Dear Lady,

I can't believe that there are people in the world (like my mom) who don't like flying. I mean I really can't believe it. Flying is incredible. I love everything about it.

The experience, for me, all begins inside the airport—especially in larger airports. I like the hustle and bustle of people everywhere who hail from everywhere. There's an electricity of excitement and potential in an airport and everyone is waiting to take some journey, like dormant (static?) energy waiting to become kinetic.

The next thing I'll say is that I love that walk down the tunnel to the plane. And I love the walk down the tunnel to disembark the plane for that matter. That tunnel is this great moment of buildup before getting your place on the vehicle that will carry you thousands of feet into the air. Or it's the buildup before spilling you back out into the airport at a new destination. It's the metaphorical second act of a movie or play. And I love that feeling.

Finally (though not really finally but just in the interest of time) I love the sensation of being in the air—especially on cloudy days. I love the feeling as the cabin pressurizes and depressurizes as we pass through clouds. I think it's incredible to be lost in blinding white everywhere, and then that moment when you spill out through the cloud bank into clear sky and can look behind you and see the incomprehensible size of the cloud masses behind you. And I love when the clouds are just below us, and I can watch us skipping along above them, marshmallow mountains at our feet.

Yep. I love flying. I had and felt and experienced all of these things already today and I've only been on one flight so far!

I do love you.
I miss you.
I can't wait to see you again.
You are everything to me.
I absolutely love to travel and to fly,
but I will take your company over any flight any day.

.a boy