Life gets a little crazy. Doesn't it? I mean, it just occurred to me that in all the running around making a card, buying a lavender plant (secretly), and getting the Branch ready for Mother's Day, I think that I neglected to write in your Mother's Day journal myself. Did I? I suddenly panicked that I forgot to.
Did I even give it to you?
Did I even write in it?
If not I owe you some thoughts. And some love.
But that's not why I'm writing today. I'm writing you today because it's your birthday. It's your birthday and that's my favorite day of the entire year.
No joke.
(Your cat is quite the snorer, here next to me . . . Sheesh!)
So, I love you.
I hope you know that.
No, I hope for more than that.
I hope you feel it to your core.
I hope you're able to wake up and feel overwhelmed with love.
Now I'm not an entirely unrealistic individual. I am entirely willing to believe that life, with all it entails (good and bad), is often enough to chase our focus from where we'd like it to be to where it needs to be: concerns for children, concerns for family, concerns for friends, or, perhaps, sometimes even to thoughts of gratitude and joy for children, family and friends. I know that sometimes we wake up overwhelmed by what the day is going to require of us. Sometimes we know we'd just rather this day didn't happen.
And I know that you're probably feeling this more acutely these past couple of years.
I'm sorry for that.
I'm sorry that I can't fix everything that goes wrong in life. I sure wish I could serve as some kind of jack-of-all-trades handyman for those things in your life that break. I wish I could make everything run beautifully and smoothly.
Unfortunately I can't.
And I'm sorry for that.
But I do promise you that I will always do everything and anything I can. I promise you that I will always love you. I promise you that I will always wake up ready to share my love with you once again, every new day. I promise that I will always try to make you smile, always try to make you laugh, and always try to make you feel the love that I have for you (and that is pouring in upon you from so many in the world).
I am so in love with every new day of your life. My own new days are so important to me because they are directly related to the opportunity for another new day with you. And that's an incredible thing. To think that I can open my eyes to every new dawn and know that you're right there beside me. To know that we love one another. To know that we have each other's backs. Thick or thin. Sickness or health. High or low. Republican or Democrat. —Wait, how'd that last one get in there? . . .
So HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVE!
You are so loved.
You are so important to so many.
And we all want every wonderful thing for you.
We want you to smile.
We want you to laugh.
We want you to have every good reason to sing for no reason.
And I hope you will.
.Patrick the Boy