Friday, February 11, 2011

Dear Lady

You wouldn't believe this place I'm in. I'm sitting in an incredible room in one of the libraries looking out over Ithaca. I have to bring you here. It's one of the most incredible rooms I've ever seen, especially because unlike castles and mansions you can tour, this place is accessible and useable. I was going to take a picture, but I want to bring you here to see it with your own eyes the first time. I think we become far too passive because of photography. We allow photos to replace stepping out into adventure ourselves.
My favorite seminary teacher and I didn't see eye to eye on many things, but i still differ from him in this and that's that I want to see the world. Pictures aren't enough for me. He felt that books were great because they provided him world knowledge or views if he wanted them. It was enough for him to know things were there, but he was only concerned with life where he was, how it was. That isn't enough for me. I want to take you and our family into the world. I want us to have experiences and adventures. I want to take hope, beauty, and friendship everywhere we can. I want a tradition of vacation and exploration. I hope our children are always fascinated by the world and seek out it's wonders themselves.
It's always perfect, however, to have a standing home to come back to, and a friend to lay down with at night.
I'm sorry you haven't felt as good about your mothering as you'd like. I know my dad is like you. He has always felt like maybe he wasn't doing an awesome job; like maybe anywhere we failed as kids had something to do with his not being home or some other fault. The truth is, however, that I knew he loved me and would do anything for me, and that was enough. That got me here today, and I know our boys trust and love you. I know that so much of their goodness is because of you. Nolan loves to help clean. He loves making projects for others. Gerret loves to cuddle. His imagination is wild and hilarious. They're both so smart. It's so much thanks to you. I know theyre hard to take sometimes, and it seems they're little monsters, but they love you and you're doing a great job.
In addition to that you're developing great talents. Your painting is suddenly great. It adds so much beauty to our home. Your wreaths and crafts too. Your cards have always been an inspiring and appreciated gift. Your love abounds. And I love you. I hope your confidence continues to grow and you continue pursuing your interests and talents. You're so full of good and the world needs that. With so much sadness and war in the world we all need as much as we can get of people like you. That's why so many enjoyed your blog and what you shared of our family.
Just know you're loved and doing amazing. Know that I want to take you on so many unknown adventures. Know that we'll get there. Know I will always cherish you above all else. Know you're my best friend. Know that I'll always be here for you.
.a boy
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone