Nolan mopped before nursery school this morning. I wouldn't have allowed it, because I didn't have time to change his soaking clothes and vanish the lakes spread across the kitchen floor, but I was in the shower oblivious to his cleaning pursuits. The deed was done without motherly approval and I really didn't have time to find him dry socks and pants and work on the flooded kitchen. Somehow we managed and now I can just laugh and look forward to telling an older Nolan about his intense desire to help his family and keep a clean home. Sometimes it's lonely to stay at home all day with young children. Sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes it produces hopeless feelings. Sometimes it makes me lose confidence in myself. But then sometimes it just makes me laugh and it is the most enjoyable adventure in the world --messes, tantrums, arguments and all.
For instance, after mopping up the result of mopping, getting Gerret dressed (I had to play a few rounds of Ring-Around-the-Rosey before he consented to removing his pajamas), collecting Nolan's snow gear, urging Nolan to get dry pants and socks, losing the battle of putting a coat on Gerret (I don't even know why I try), and packing the Lightning McQueen backpack with essentials and non-essentials alike, I headed out to the car with a coatless Gerret. Nolan, the persistent little bugger was already buckled in his seat, beaming at me. "Cocoa is coming, too". Oh the nonchalance! I had already affirmed that Cocoa would not be coming with us about ten minutes earlier when he had asked me, but there sat Cocoa, proudly established at the wheel and Nolan, proudly grinning in his spot behind her.
I guess it simply takes a light heart and sense of humor to consistently enjoy mothering. I'll have to continuously remind myself. Though I find it difficult to remember simple solutions when I feel overwhelmed.
That's all I have to say about that. And now... are you interested in having a garden this year?
I like dancing with you.
I like it when we talk. I like to listen to your ideas. I like to feel like I know you. I love you.
From, your lady