Thursday, June 2, 2016

Dear Boy,


I'm administering the seminary test and the online version seems to be miraculously working. Phew. That was a headache. 

Anyway, I thought I'd write you on my birthday, because I want you to know that I love my life.  I love this earth. I love people. I love my family. I appreciate all of the experiences I've had and the great teachers they have each been to me. I think of life as my good friend and I honor it. And I'm so blessed to have you as a central part of my life. You make every day special and the special days a step above. You even help me to tolerate the difficult days, like earlier this week when I was rolling around in pain and successfully vomited and peed at the same time. 

I know life isn't what you thought it would be and we aren't where we hoped we would be by now, but I think it's been pretty great anyway, even with setbacks and disappointments and frustration. We live in an amazing place.  I love our little house surrounded by green fields. We have wonderful kids. They are so patient with us and so unique. They have helped us laugh for many years now. I love all the funny projects that we've attempted together. We burned wood all winter. And we dug a big hole in the side yard. We worked really hard to make the back room livable. Remember how my dad cut down the old pantry walls with a chainsaw?  We cut down that half-dead Maple tree and it sat fallen in the front yard for almost a year. And now we have a driveway there. You marry people now. It's like a side job. We've had surreal experiences in hospitals. We go out to the woods or into the mountains when we're in Utah and there find a new lease on life (isn't that a phrase?). We go on other adventures in cities and towns. Like standing in a snowstorm on the Empire State Building. And finding fishing signs in Corning. We've been together in so many places and I've loved all of them and I've loved you in all of them. 

Thank you for helping my life to be great. I love you. 

L