It's exciting to have a pond forming in the back yard. Maybe we should catch some turtles and frogs from my parents' to put in it once it's filled. I'm so thankful to Brother Murray for spending his time and resources to dig it for us. I think the pond would almost never have gotten done without him. I say almost because I assume it would eventually somehow happen, but not for a very, very long time.
Thank you for the uke. It's been such a boost to my health during a time that's been very trying. It brings me joy and gives me motivation when I'm feeling down and motionless.
You're sleeping on the couch next to me and I'm listening to the boys play Star Wars Legos together and they've been laughing and giggling lots. They don't do this too often, so I'm really enjoying their camaraderie. My dream for them since they were babies together is that they would be friends through their lives and that they would grow up to depend on each other for support and fun and love. And I've often felt disappointed that it hasn't seemed to work out, but on afternoons like today when I see a glimpse of their friendship, I think there may still be hope. They're really great kids. I'm lucky to be their mom.
I am pretty sensitive to the way women are portrayed in media, not necessarily because I, myself am so offended by the stereotypes and objectification that happen, but because I don't want Auburn to identify with a lot (or any) of it. So, the way women are illustrated is especially noticeable because illustration depends so much (solely?) on stereotypes and objectification, otherwise they do risk becoming androgynous. I'm not opposed to androgyny, but when you're trying to tell a story with pictures I recognize the need for identifying traits. The reason I think older art (your examples were Renaissance and Egyptian) didn't include stereotypes so much is those artists were focused on realism. In reality, men and women don't look that different on the surface... Especially in a culture like the Egyptians' where men and women dressed similarly and even both wore makeup and jewelry. Illustrators aren't trying to be real, I don't think. They aren't drawing from life. They're drawing from ideas. Whelp. I rambled about that a bit; now I'm done. Ha ha.
I love you. I'm grateful to you. I don't know how I'd live without you.
L