Thursday, July 30, 2015

Dear Boy,

Yesterday, you acted more compassionately toward my mom than usual and I want you to know I appreciated it. Thank you also for your concerned prayer for her last night. It probably meant more for me than it does to her (since I alone, with God, heard it). I know my mom has very apparent foibles and weaknesses, but I love her and I see so much goodness and beauty in her also. I've learned a lot from her. I love plants and music because of her. I hear God because she taught me to listen. I seek truth because of her. Most practical skills I have came because she taught them to me.

It hurts me to watch her aching and struggling along. The best I can do is be there when I can, to listen when I can, and to offer support when I can. The worst I can do is to give in to the temptation to pass judgement and place blame. Your compassionate attitude helps me to cultivate my own ability to love, so thanks again for that.

L