Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dear Boy,

It's a new year now.  I think I wrote on this blog maybe twice last year.  This year looks to be the year of all years.  I expect that it will be epoch.  Let's start by going to NYC to my first real ballet.  I can't wait!  And then let's go to Utah and see those mountains that I've fantasized about for the past seven years.  And we'll go to the world famous Henry Doorly Zoo and the Grand Canyon and all the other grand things between the two.  We'll see your family and my friends and our old home, Provo.  My anticipation for this trip is almost as great as my anticipation for the ocean.  Very, very close.  And let's ride a train in the Adirondacks.  Maybe we'll get goats this year?  And we'll completely change the course of our life when we swap places in the home and set our sight firmly on being farmers.  That part of this year to come has been a long time in the making.  And I'm ready for it.  And I think you are too.  I'm sure that's just a beginning.  Jordan and Diana will have a baby.  Maybe I will, too?  I'm sure we're up for some surprises.  Life is like that.

I was thinking today about you and me.  I was thinking how very good it is to be a part of you and how full my life is and bursting my heart is because you are in them both.  And then I was thinking that my greatest hope for every person I care about is that they find love the way we have.  For instance, I thought of your sister who is getting married in a few weeks and I hoped for her that this is the beginning of something as magical and comfortable and sure as yours and mine.  I hope my sisters will find this kind of love and companionship.  I hope your brothers will.  It is just that this thing I have with you, it has made my life.  It is the stuff of my life.  It is in every good thing.  It is every good thing.  When I married you, I felt sure that I would love you forever, but how could I have known just how?  Ten years into it and that love which started in one location has moved all over the place and created an intricate map so that today's love is all of those locations at once.  It is more broad and high and deep (I guess the map is topographical) than I could have imagined ten years ago.   And I can't see the future, but I know it holds something incredible.  So I wonder, were we incredibly lucky?  Or can this be duplicated over and over?  My hope is for the latter.  I hope for every person still looking that the circumstance of our relationship wasn't sheer dumb luck.

From, me