Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dear Boy,

I have a difficult time "living in the moment" because I generally feel unsatisfied with myself. There is a constant lack in what I am and what I do. My thought on myself and what I do is this: I'm an ant. I scurry, hurry around, keep busy, keep on planning, but in a fairly meaningless way. So I look forward to a future wherein I will mystically and magically be enough- smart enough, patient enough, organized enough, kind enough, healthy enough, etc., etc. And then, then everything I do, scurrying or not, will have great meaning.
I'm telling you this because last night, you fell asleep and I was awake next to you with my cheek on your back and my arm around your waist and my mind turning (as always, ever turning). I thought about the brevity and fragility of life, but wasn't bothered by it. For those minutes (maybe many) before I drifted into unconsciousness, for once I felt enough. I did not look to the future, I did not hope to be anything different, I did not succumb to my usual worry, I did not feel inadequate, I was not overwhelmed. I was filled with complete contentment. It was such an unusual feeling that I'm still reeling a bit from the experience.
So on unrelated notes:
Thank you for my engagement ring, again. I like being engaged with you. Being married to you is my favorite thing to be. By far. And my ring is a beautiful reminder of that. Every time I notice it there on my finger, I smile thinking of the prospect of being engaged in this kind of friendship with you and taking this continual walk with you.
What should I do with that dog?? Bathe her?
Nolan's games don't start for two weeks, so he won't have to miss one tomorrow. He needs a glove to play... we have one that belonged to my sisters, but it's for right handers. What do you think? Have him throw with his right hand? Or try to find a lefty glove? Do they even make those in small sizes? I'll send him with the one we have today, because it didn't occur to me until this morning.
Thank you for the imagination dragons music. Thank you especially for caring. I didn't expect you to, but it really feels nice when you show interest in something I'm interested in and vice-versa. I don't think it happens too often -us having common interests beyond our family, home, and the church. Perhaps it doesn't matter that we don't care much about the same things, but I deeply appreciated your effort.
I love you, dear boy. I miss you when you're not here. I always hope your days will be full and happy.

Love, the big L