Sunday, January 7, 2018

Dear Boy,

It's your birthday!  Shout hooray!  Or wish everyone else a happy birthday. Whatever you want. It's your birthday. 

For your birthday, we have running water. And a warm fire. And some snow. And birthday sex. And our cozy little family. And one-eyed Sammy. And a lot of toys in our bed. And a super late night with our friends who didn't know it was your birthday. I feel bad/awkward about that. And cheesecake. And neat new headphones. 

I hope you know how very much I care for you. You are everything to me. You have really made my life. You are the thing of my life. If you were all I ever got, that would be fine. You, alone are enough to have made this worth doing. And I can't thank you enough for that. 

I have so much confidence in you. I can pick up where you lack confidence, because I trust that you will and already have done great things. I see you and know that you have an exorbitant amount of strengths and a whole lot of good about you. You are capable of more than the average Joe. And I love to be here to watch you. And I have loved the experience of watching you over the years as you figure yourself out. I have loved growing up with you. I expect that we will keep discovering and growing forever. That is what eternal progression means, I think. 

So, here's to 36 years on this earth. I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have (though I'm short a couple years).  I hope you will always find the curious and beautiful and worthwhile things. And I hope you will always share what you find with me. 

Happy Birthday
L